Tuesday 10 September 2013

70th Anniversary

A  week ago I flew to Denmark to take part in the 70th Anniversary Commemoration ceremony of the death of my first husband in September 1943.  I had just, somewhat belatedly, received his war medals which inspired me to go.  I had previously thought I was too old and infirm to make the journey but, as usual, my family  came to the rescue and said they would make all the arrangements  so off we went.
Amanda  and I went to London City Airport by taxi and met my grandson. We arrived in Denmark late on Tuesday night and stayed at the airport hotel.  We hired a car and Tom drove us to Stadil next morning and we had lunch with our friends the Halkjaer family.
The ceremony took place at the crash site.  I think there must have been nearly 200 people there including Senior Officers from the RAAF and the Danish Air Force, an RAF sergeant, the Australian Ambassador, Executives from the Local Council and several relatives of the crew.  A propeller which had been recovered was put in place and dedicated.  Altogether it was a very moving occasion.
A young lady from the TV asked me a few questions for the local TV News and the Editor of the local paper took copious notes afterwards.  I was glad I went.  I met so many old friends and made some new ones.  I shook so many hands I felt like the Queen.  ( To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.