Monday 28 April 2014

Don Giovanni

Last evening I settled down in front of the TV prepared to enjoy an operatic feast, Easter Egg to hand saved up for just such a treat.  The singers were good, the acting was good, the music superb.  The production, however, was too gimicky for my taste.  
The action took place on or in front of what appeared to be a revolving cube.   It reminded me of a Rubik Cube and like that cube was a puzzle.  There was a ground floor and a first floor, the upper floor reached by ladders or a staircase.   The Director didn't seem to me to be able to make up his mind where exactly the drama should unfold.  The actors were running up and down stairs before each aria.  I'm sure they must have been as confused as I was.
I know my eyesight is bad and I have to sit close to the TV to peer at the screen but did I see graffiti all over the cube at times?  What was that for?  I think the Don could have taken lessons from Bryn Terfel and the Korean Soprano, Hei-Kyung Hong, in the seduction scene. ( This is one of my favourite pieces on YouTube.)   All in all not a  very successful evening.  The Easter Egg was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.